In the early 1970’s Nik Powell set up Virgin Records with Richard Branson and in the space of ten years the pair turned a small mail-order record operation into a multi-million pound conglomerate.
In 1982 Powell went into partnership with Stephen Woolley, having sold out from Virgin in the previous year. Together they formed Palace Video, followed by Palace Pictures, and then Palace Productions, soon establishing each as highly regarded entities within the film distribution and production industry. Powell has acted as Executive Producer on all of Palace’s productions including Neil Jordan’s COMPANY OF WOLVES, OSCAR NOMINATED MONA LISA, Michael Caton-Jones’ SCANDAL, and Neil Jordan’s multi Oscar nominated THE CRYING GAME.
Nik and Stephen Woolley’s new company Scala produced Iain Softley’s BACKBEAT, Terence Davies’ THE NEON BIBLE, Shane Meadows’ TWENTYFOUR: SEVEN, Mark Herman’s Oscar and Golden Globe nominated LITTLE VOICE, Fred Schepisis’ LAST ORDERSstarring Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Tom Courtenay, Helen Mirren, David Hemmings and Ray Winstone, Charles Dance’s LADIES IN LAVENDER, starring Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Miriam Margolis and Daniel Bruer and Nik also executive producedCALENDAR GIRLS.
Nik was appointed Director of the National Film and Television School in 2005, although he remains as non-executive chairman of Scala Productions.
He is also:
- Vice Chairman of the board of the European Film Academy and previously for 9 years the Chairman of EFA and host of the European Film Awards
- Chairman of the Bafta Film committee and member of the Bafta Board of Trustees
- Vice Chairman of the GEECT (association of a European film schools) Board
- Member of the board of NAHEMI (Association of British film schools)
- Member of the US academy: AMPAS (Association of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences)
- Director of the board of the Northern Ireland Film and TV Commission and Chairman of its Film Investment Fund Committee 2003 to 2007
- Member of British Screen Advisory Council
- Member of European Producers Club
- Member of the Academy of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- Vice President of the National Society for Epilepsy
- Chevalier dans l’ordre des arts et lettres
- Member and often Chair of juries for major festivals such as Sundance, Locarno, Moscow and of many awards juries including BAFTA and Eurpoean film awards.